Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know Whether to Choose A Category 1 or Category 2 Workshop?
The simplest and most helpful rule is this: Attend a Category 1 first. In the vast majority of cases, attending a Category 2 before attending a Category 1 will lead to an unsatisfying experience for you and for others in the workshop session.
Category 1 workshops are designed for those who have decided to apply for IB authorization as well as those who are relatively new to the teaching of IB courses, and they provide assistance in this process.
Please note that Category 1 workshops are required for authorization.
Category 2 workshops are for those who have completed Category 1 workshops and for those who
- have taught IB courses for quite a while and
- have experience with IB student assessment and
- whose schools have begun the IB programme.
Two groups of teachers "fall between the cracks" of these categories: those with extensive IB teaching experience who find themselves in applicant schools, and those inexperienced in IB teaching who find themselves in schools with longstanding IB affiliation. We hope that those teachers will refer to the goals and objectives of the workshops to choose judiciously.
For further information, please View This Document created by the IB.
Category 1 - Diploma Programme
Category of workshop: 1
Title of workshop: Application and Authorization Workshop
Overall description: This workshop is designed by IB for teachers who have not attended an IB training workshop previously.
Goals of Workshop:
- To provide accurate information to schools planning application to the IB
- To increase the ease of application and authorization
- To enable schools and teachers to be successful in early years of IB implementation
Objectives of workshop:
- Participants will become familiar with successful application procedures
- Participants will become familiar with highly successful applications
- Participants will create initial drafts of their own applications
- Participants will create initial course designs
- Participants will be able to begin implementation upon returning to school from workshop
Intended audience: HOS, IBC, all designated IB teachers, other key employees as deemed appropriate by applicant school (Optional attendees: CAS coordinator, librarian, counselor).
Category 2 - Diploma Programme
Category of workshop: 2
Title of workshop: Experienced Teacher Workshop
Overall description: This workshop is designed by IB for teachers who have attended a Category 1 workshop.
Goals of Workshop:
- To improve the quality of authorized schools' IB programs
- To form a community of schools offering IB programs
Objectives of workshop:
- Participants will understand more fully the philosophy of the IB and the Diploma Program
- Participants will understand practices associated with adhering to the philosophy of the IBO and the Diploma Program
- Participants will understand more fully IBO assessment practices for the Diploma Program
- Participants will gain understanding of successful methods of preparing students for IB assessments
- IBO will profit from the contributions of participating schools to the science and the art of the Diploma Program
Intended audience (from authorized schools): HOS, IBC, subject area teachers, other key employees as deemed appropriate by applicant school.
How Do I Register?
- From our home page, click on the View All FLIBS Events.
- Find the workshop you wish to register for and click on it.
- When you have read the information and policies about the workshop, click on Register.
- You will come to a page with a blank field for the attendee's email address. It is important that we have that person's email address as the system will not allow duplicate emails for the attendee. Please note the IB/Curriculum Coordinators email can be duplicated. Please click on the Proceed button.
- The following screen will have blank field for name, address and school information. If the attendee's email address is already in the system, his/her information will automatically be entered in the fields. Please verify all of the information. Once all of the contact information is entered, select the subject from the drop-down menu and enter the experience level for the attendee.
- Review the cancellation policy then click on the button that says I have read and agreed to the policies.
- The next page is a summary of your registration and a link to print out an invoice.
- As soon after you register as possible, you will need to email or mail your purchase order or check.
Additional Registration Questions
- I am an IB coordinator. Can I register more than one teacher at a time?
Currently, each teacher has to be entered separately.
- What if I don't have a PO or check?
You may reserve a seat in our workshop, and you will receive a Notice of Enrollment. Payment must be received within 60 days of the original enrollment date; otherwise, the reservation may be subject to cancellation.
Payments are accepted through the on-line payment system in the form of all major credit cards. We also accept wire transfers, money orders and checks by mail to: Florida League of IB Schools, P.O. Box 551, Williston, Florida 32696 (USA). For wire transfer information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Purchase orders may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our contact form.
- I need to send some people to training, but I don't know who can attend. Can I just reserve some seats?
We require that you enter a name and e-mail address for each participant. However, this information can be changed at a later date. The seat will be confirmed once FLIBS has received a payment via credit card, check or purchase order.
- What if I register someone who subsequently changes his/her mind or cannot attend?
Cancellations prior to 15 business days before a workshop
|will incur a $50.00 service fee, regardless of whether we have received payment.
|Cancellations fewer than 15 business days prior to the start of the workshop
||will result in the school being charged the entire registration amount. This means that if the school has remitted registration, it will not be refunded; if the school has not remitted the registration fee, it will still be charged.
|No shows to workshop (not present for first session):
NB: FLIBS reserves the right to modify these policies under circumstances that we consider to be extraordinary.
- FLIBS has created workshop materials for the cancelling registrant
- FLIBS has hired workshop leaders based upon this registrant's promise to attend
- FLIBS has, in the case of late cancellations, lost the income from a waitlisted participant
- Why do we charge when people cancel?
- What if I am wait listed? Wait listed requests are processed in the order they are received. We will notify wait listed participants via email (sent to the participant as well as to the IB Coordinator) if a seat becomes available. Either the participant or the IB Coordinator must accept or decline the seat in writing (via email) within five days of notification.
- To find information on earning graduate education credit, go to http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/offices/pd/international-baccalaureate.